It’s one of the hottest days of the year so far here, although you wouldn’t know it to look at my neighbours. I don’t think a day has gone by since Memorial Day that they didn’t have the grill fired up outside. Apparently sweat is weakness leaving the body.
As long as this heat wave lasts, I’m staying as far away from heat sources as I can. No pizza or soup or homemade baked goods for this girl. Even snuggling with my roommate’s cats is a bit much.
This salad definitely fits the summer bill of fare, though. I don’t know what it is about the snap of raw vegetables that feels cooler than cooked ones, but this dish has its fair share of crunch with broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers. Have some fresh asparagus spears you need to use up? Throw them in too. Sugar snap peas? Why not. Cooked chilled edamame? Have at it. This is your salad, my friends.
Green pasta salad
(based on Best Food Cloud’s ranch pasta salad)
- 1 lb. rotini
- 2 heads broccoli
- 4 carrots
- 2 green bell peppers
- 6 oz. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 c. milk
- 1 pkt. ranch dressing mix
- Cook rotini until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water until cool.
- Dice broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers into bite-sized pieces.
- In separate bowl, combine yogurt, milk, and ranch dressing mix until smooth. (Based on how much whey is in your Greek yogurt, feel free to add a tablespoon or two of flour to thicken the dressing. If you like your salad extra flavorful, add up to 1 tsp. onion powder and 2 tsp. dried parsley.)
- Combine rotini, veggies, and dressing. Toss to coat.